Monday, February 26, 2018

Our Finisher

“‘I am Ruth, your servant,’ she replied. ‘Take me under your wing, for you are a redeemer.’ Naomi said, ‘My daughter, wait until you find out how things go, for he won’t rest unless he resolves this…’” Ruth 3:
9b, 18.

Every time I read this part of Ruth I share butterflies with her and I even know the outcome. I can’t help but to consider how vulnerable she must have felt in approaching this man who could very well be her family’s redeemer. He was the one who could join them in their lives bringing blessings, joy and comfort like they hadn’t experienced in a very long time. She approached him in courage, submission and hope in the dark of the night. When he realized she was at his feet, he whispered ‘Who are you?’ She quietly uttered the words, ‘I am Ruth, your servant…take me under your wing.’ Did her voice quiver? Was her request strong and confident? Was she thankful that it was dark, and she couldn’t see his expression? Did her words trail off as the request drifted from her lips? We are not told, but we are told that he responded to her with beautiful words. ‘Now don’t be afraid, my daughter. I will do for you whatever you say…Yes, it is true that I am a…redeemer, but…’ Ruth 3:11-12. That dreaded word that NO ONE desires to hear…BUT. Boaz knew that there were matters that had to be taken care of before he could honor her request. He wanted to give her what she asked, but he knew things had to be done in an orderly and timely fashion. Naomi fully understood the things that needed to be orchestrated before the request could be honored, and the dream fulfilled. She encouraged her to wait…to eagerly watch…to believe that Boaz would not rest until he resolved things.

Neither will our Redeemer! We tentatively approach Him in our prayers asking things of Him that only He can give. ‘Lord, bless me with a child…a medical healing…a partner to love…a job to bring me purpose…’ our requests go on and on. Just like Ruth we stand up from our knees and return to our lives. Just like Ruth we spend lots of time waiting…watching…hoping. Days turn into weeks which turn into months and years. There are signs of encouragement but no resolution. There are tender moments in our prayer time but nothing on the horizon. We must tell ourselves what Naomi imparted to Ruth. ‘I cannot wait until I see what God is doing in these circumstances! He is orchestrating things better than I could have ever imagined! He will not rest until this is resolved and He will determine the when, how and who will bring about His perfect plan in this season.’

And one beautiful unimaginable day, He will show up and show out! Keep asking, keep waiting and watching and above all keep believing that the One who is able will complete what He started. He is the Finisher of all things!

“Now to Him who is able to do infinitely more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him to be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” Ephesians 3:20.


No comments: