Thursday, February 1, 2018

Holy Reminders

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you.” John 14:26.

About five years ago, I was on my way to my daughter’s house to be with my grandchildren while she attended a meeting.  I remembered on the way over there that I wanted to call my sister on my way home.  I knew that I would be caught up in the time with my grandchildren and most likely forget to call her.  In an effort to remind me, I looked around the front seat searching for something that would serve as a ‘mental nudge’ to call her.  I grabbed the straw out of my drink and put it on the ledge of my speedometer, so it would be the first thing I saw when I started my car.  As I walked out of my daughter’s house I remembered to call her as I was walking to my car.  We were in conversation as I unlocked my door, sat in the seat and started my car.  At that moment I looked up, saw the straw and interrupted her story.  I said, ‘Becki, someone has been in this car.’  It took me a minute to remember why the straw was up there.  It seemed I needed a reminder of the reminder.

Thankfully, we have a Reminder who never lets us forget.  He is this beautiful Spirit who knows the mind and heart of God.  He knows every word of the Bible because He was there when God breathed it into being.  There have been many times when I wanted to recall a verse to comfort myself or comfort another person.   It would be just out of reach for my memory, but after settling my mind and asking the Great Reminder to help me it becomes reachable.  We need to be reminded of the things of God.  Some days we need a reminder that we have not been forgotten.  Some days we need to the Reminder to tell us our value when the world tries to devalue us.  There are days when we need to remember that we are daughters of a King, not beggars of this world.  There are seasons where words become few and tears become many.  Those are the most precious times for the powerful Reminder, for it when He approaches God on our behalf through their connection.  The Spirit knows the perfect prayer on our behalf.  He is the Reminder who will never fail us, never forget us and always lift us.

What is it today that you need to be reminded of?  Is it that you are not alone?  Is it that He has great plans for you up ahead?  Is it that your current situation is not your future?  Take some time today, settle your mind and heart and receive some of the most precious reminders from above.




No comments: