Thursday, October 25, 2018

Surrounded by Armies

When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. "Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?" the servant asked. ‘Do not be afraid,’ Elisha answered, ‘for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.’ Then Elisha prayed, ‘O LORD, please open his eyes that he may see.’ And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw that the hills were full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.” 2 Kings 6:15-17

I absolutely LOVE this story from 2 Kings. Who on earth says that the Old Testament is outdated and has no relevancy in our lives? I can’t tell you the number of times I arose from sleep to face the day surrounded by tough circumstances. It felt like there was no way out, but God faithfully revealed His battle plan day by day. With every surrounding army of adversity that seemed inescapable God triumphed over it. One season I surrounded myself with such secret debt and couldn’t find a way out until God opened my eyes and showed me the way. Another season I was surrounded by the failing health of my sweet grandmother who was my spiritual mentor. At the same time, we were dealing with the terminal cancer of my father, the cruel disease of Alzheimer’s with my father-in-law and finally the terminal illness of my sister. It was a fiery and fierce battle but looking back I know that God and His army were surrounding those circumstances that surrounded me. I can say without hesitation that as our family also cried, ‘Oh no, my Lord! What shall we do?’ He was there asking us to not be afraid, bringing us through each battle as He carried our sick loved ones to complete wholeness and perfection in heaven.

What set of circumstances are surrounding you that feels intimidating and threatening? Is it your financial situation that looms on the hill like an army getting ready to attack? Is it the threat that your marriage just might not make it through the battle? Are your health issues mounting up exhausting and discouraging you? There are armies on every hill, and threats in every season. But God controls the battles and outnumbers the enemy. Sometimes God will open our eyes allowing us to see His hand but other times we are like the servant who must rely on others to intercede for us. As we are surrounded by our challenging circumstances God is surrounding us with His army...love…comfort…encouragement…His people…His outcome. I’m so thankful He equips us with so much in every adversity and He gives us His Word to see His heart and hand throughout time.

And all of God's people said 'Amen.'

No comments: