Sunday, October 28, 2018

When Her 'What If' Became Her 'I Do'

There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear…” 1 John 4:18

Today is a special day for our family. It is the first anniversary of when our precious mother married our incredible Ben. It is much more though than the day they began their life together. It represents a heart that turned her ‘What If’ into her ‘I Do.’ You see, it seems like yesterday we were sitting in the doctor’s office awaiting the news of our greatest fear…Daddy’s cancer. They journeyed through the four years with complete faith, hope and love. Like Jesus, they knelt in the ‘garden’ together and prayed for the cup to pass. I’m sure Mother laid in bed at night with a host of ‘what if’s’ swirling in her head and pressing on her heart. Mother’s worst ‘what if’ came to pass and Daddy was peacefully ushered to Heaven 8 years ago. God laid down the pen on the story of Daddy’s life, so He could go and welcome him at the gate.

Mother took God at His Word and allowed Him to carry her…nurture her…to show her that her pain and joy could indeed coexist in the heart. Her grateful heart has been an amazing companion through this journey. She walked out her ‘what if’ with inspiring faith, incredible determination and quiet confidence in God’s promises. After her what if she said ‘I do’ to God… "I do believe that I will see Don again one day…I do believe you can heal my broken heart… I do believe that your will and your way is motivated by your love."

Seven years later God gave her a chance to say ‘I do’ again. The union of these two amazing people is evidence that even if we must face our worst ‘what if’ God will turn it to blessings. Don’t allow your what if…your greatest fear…to block your future story. Your ‘I do’ just might be a new narrative in a new story that God is writing for you. Allow perfect love to drive out your ‘what if.’

No comments: