Monday, October 1, 2018

My Twelfth Man


In 2003, the Seahawks installed a giant flagpole in the south end zone of what is now Century Link Field and began a tradition of raising a giant flag…in honor of the fans.  On any given Sunday, the fans rush the stadium understanding the important role they have of support, encouragement and cheering the team on to a victory.  For me when I see that flag waving in the breeze I get a lump in my throat because it reminds me of my ‘twelfth man.’ 

This past weekend my twelfth man…my childhood girlfriends…rushed onto the island, raised that flag and man did we have quite a victory.  There were touchdowns and a few fumbles.  There were sacks and lots of huddles.  It was us against the other team…the challenges of life.  We each came with our stories of what happened…what is presently happening…what could possibly happen.  On that little porch we analyzed…we laughed…we even cried a little.  At one point on Saturday night one of my teammates belted out ‘He Lives’ and every person sang with such passion, knowing every word of that ageless song of Christ’s sacrifice.  We know that God placed us together then and He moved us back together now.  It is quite possible that it will be another full year before everyone can get together again.  But the flag remains waving…the support and encouragement is only a group text away…the game still goes on.

God surrounds each of us with a twelfth man…that person or people who walk with us through life in addition to our wonderful families.  A twelfth man doesn’t walk away because of politics, religion or social status.  A twelfth man waves its flag proudly and with loyalty. It remains standing through the sun, rain, wind and storms of life...even the tough losses.  If you feel you haven’t identified your twelfth man say a prayer to God.  He handpicks people for us at different points in our lives and fills our stadium with these blessings. 

So, I will bring my sentimental words about a sentimental weekend to a close.  But thankfully one of us created our own flag and brought it this weekend.  What a flag to fly!



No comments: