Friday, September 28, 2018

Hanging Our Harps

By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion. There on the poplars we hung our harps.” Psalm 137:2

King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon and his armies attacked Jerusalem and kidnapped most of its brightest and best people from all age groups. They were forced to live under the command of an environment who didn’t represent God. They went from free worshippers to oppressed slaves. This particular verse was most likely written by a Levite who used these musical instruments in their temple service while worshipping God. This psalm no doubt was written by a person with a broken heart and a depleted spirit. As the author considers the joy of his past he mourns the circumstances of his present life. He longs for what he had and cannot muster up any hope to even play a soothing song. His powerful image of hanging the harps in the trees because of his great sorrow reminds me of yesterday.

I purposely did not watch one second of the hearings…it just would be too sad. I too consider our America of the past and long for those kinder days. I feel like God's people have been taken captive. Our songs of America that use to resonate proudly and purposefully has been quietened for now. I have noticed that I don’t sing my praises of America as proudly as I used to, but I do still sing my praises to the God upon whom this country was founded. I find myself this morning sitting by the river disillusioned and disgusted by the circumstances of what is occurring. It’s easy to hang our harps on the poplars and feel hopeless, but just as our author knew deep in his heart…this is not our home and we are not residents of this place but of a better place…a perfect place.

We belong to a future city where no one can take away our music and our worship. We must place our eyes on Jesus who knows each truth and each lie. We must sit under the authority of God and take our eyes off those who don’t sit under God’s authority but act on their own preferences. We cannot hang up our harps at a time when the music is so crucial. We must continue to sing of truth…God’s truth. We must continue to believe that we will not be slaves to the world forever. So let us sing of what’s important and trust God for the process of turning America’s heart back to Him.


No comments: