Saturday, September 22, 2018

My Joyful Noise

Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth; break forth—let your cry ring out and sing praises!” Psalm 98:4

Since Bruce and I are empty nesters we have a choice of extra bathrooms to use, giving each other extra room. His bathroom is off our bedroom and my bathroom is on the other side of the house upstairs. As I was getting ready for the day I felt an extra boost of worship, so I cranked up the music and blasted out my songs…my joyful noise…my cries ringing out…my praises in full volume. When I came downstairs I noticed the French doors to Bruce’s office/den were closed. I opened the door to tell him goodbye and jokingly accused him of trying to keep me out. With loving eyes but a nervous smile he said, ‘I just couldn’t take that music anymore!’ I couldn’t believe he could hear me from the other side of the house. I guess only the Lord took joy in my singing!

Worship music and singing along is one thing that helps me pull God close to my heart, especially during those times when I was in the dark valleys. Jennifer Rothschild describes it best in her Bible study, Psalm 23 – The Shepherd with Me, p. 125. ‘God gets personal when the valley gets dark. We need to remember that faith isn’t based on feelings. Faith is grounded in the truth of God’s Word and the integrity of His character. Although you may not feel God’s presence, you can absolutely know and trust that He is there.’ We invite God to join us in our messy circumstances and we listen for His voice to bring order to the chaos. He will replace feelings with faith, and hopelessness with joyful praise. Stillness is the way to become aware of His presence and worship is the way you draw near to God.

Sometimes we have to get through the valley to understand what we got from it. So, if you are in the dark middle of your valley, don’t press to find the grand lesson or insight if one is not clear. Just rest in your Shepherd. Let Him carry you through. Receive His comfort and care.’ Psalm 23 – The Shepherd with Me, Jennifer Rothchild, p. 126.

No comments: