Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Beyond the Waves

The still inside the storm, the promise of the shore…beyond the barren place, beyond the ocean waves …My God will make a way, so I am not afraid.” Jesus Culture, Not Afraid

When our children were young we owned a pontoon boat, and frequently took the kids on a boat ride in the evening. One late afternoon we packed up and headed for the lake to take the boat out armed with snacks, drinks, suntan lotion and excitement. I still remember their little faces as they took turns sitting on Bruce’s lap helping him navigate. They would run between the ‘captain’ and the ‘crew’ as their hair wrapped across their faces as the wind blew through the galley. Bruce had navigated the boat to the furthest point of the lake when a horrible storm arose. Instantly, thunder boomed as lightning appeared to be a staircase from land to sky. Bruce told me to get the kids and take refuge in the little bathroom on the pontoon. I took Michael and Kristen (Caroline hadn’t been born) and snuggled up in the floor. I couldn’t see what was going on outside those walls, but I knew that Bruce had all abilities to safely guide us back to shore. I could hear the thunder and rain pelting the roof of the boat along with its swaying movement. Between urgent prayers on that bathroom floor and singing songs with the kids nervously, the boat was finally back in our slip and we had been brought to safety.

When I feel fear seeping into my mind and heart, I remember being on that floor hugging my children tightly. I remember that I felt deep gratitude that I had someone who loved me and was willing to put his life on the line to save me and our children. Just like I couldn’t see what was up ahead, we can’t see the dangers through which God navigates. The storms hit in each of us lives and we also live in the tension between fear of our future and singing praises of our past. There are so many circumstances that we are not even aware of that could have shipwrecked us. But when we place our confidence and trust in God, He shields us from the storm and places us in the eye where things are calm.

You may currently be in a storm living life between fear and praises, but God is in total control of your raging sea. You have the One who loves you most in charge of your present season. He will not be reckless with your life, and is navigating you through the waters of obstacles guiding you back to the shore. When we surround ourselves with God’s promises and the reminders of past faithfulness we will experience the storm in the still instead of the chaos.

No comments: