Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

Then the king prepared a large banquet…it was actually Esther’s banquet.” Esther 2:18

I just adore the story of Esther and how she rose to royalty. The interesting point about her life is that she rose to a royal position which she already possessed. She was a Jewish child, steeped in Jewish tradition no doubt. I am confident that her parents would have started out her life telling her that God adored her and that He was her God, and she was His child. But one day, a traumatic event happened, her parents died, and she forgot who she was. Being raised by her uncle, her circumstances unfolded that positioned her in the king’s castle preparing for a beauty pageant. She was being prepared and prepped to vie for the crown. I can’t help but wonder how uncomfortable this little young teen would have been trying to see herself as a queen when she had always felt like an orphan. Even with the beauty treatments they gave her, who stared back at her when she looked in the mirror?

I am wondering this morning that very same question when you look in the mirror and when I look in the mirror. Who do we see and does it match who God sees? There have been times as an adult when I saw the face of ‘not enough’ staring back at me. No matter what ‘beauty treatments’ I tried…those empty pursuits of someone’s approval…I still didn’t see myself as a God-chosen daughter of a royal King. But then God prepared a banquet for me…a party of two…where He showed me who I was. Together my mask fell, my heart received love and I remembered who I was. Who I am is the same person you are…a member of His royal family with a head worthy of His crowns…a victor of circumstances instead of a victim of circumstances. This knowledge, belief and daily pursuit is a gamechanger for me. Seeking His face daily, meditating on His words and sharing intimate time with Him helps me recall who I am in Him.

Don’t try to reclaim the position you already possess. You are not an orphan…you are not a reject…you are not a person without a country. Walk out your God-created destiny and remember who He says you are.

No comments: