Wednesday, July 8, 2009

...And Be Thankful

“Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.” Col. 3:15

Peace is the most sought after spiritual commodity on earth and yet so many tunnel their path to peace with destructive tools. Many times the very things we use to obtain peace create more havoc and chaos in our lives. When my daughter was in the midst of her drug addiction I would temporarily satisfy my inner chaos with secret spending creating a “spin off adversity” of debt. I didn’t allow the peace of Christ to be my path but instead dug my own tunnel through my own understanding with how peace could be obtained.

When experiencing a storm in life it is easy to respond in one of several ways. We can choose to be an “adversity runaway” just as Jonah which landed him in the belly of a whale (Jonah 1-4). We can choose to be an “adversity stowaway” wherein we check out and allow the advice of others to command our actions in any given circumstance such as Aaron when Moses went up to the mountain to receive the commandments of Lord. (Ex. 32) The only response that comes with peace is that of an “adversity conqueror” who allows the peace of Christ to rule in their hearts apart from their circumstances. The fulfillment of peace is also realized within the body of Christ as we approach godly people for guidance and encouragement. The end of the verse is another key to obtaining God's peace...being thankful. No matter what storm for which I am being blasted, there are always many things for which I feel thankful, grateful and humbled as recipient. When I am at the brink of inner chaos I begin remembering all that God has given me, provided for me and promised me for the future which immediately places a sense of peace in me.

Remember, peace is not the absence of fear and chaos, it is the result of accessing the peace of Christ apart from our storms.

No comments: