Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Choosing Our Wilderness

“Remember how the LORD, your God, led you all the way in the desert these 40 years to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands.” Deut. 8:2

Along with God using Scripture to encourage and lift us up, He also uses Scripture to gently discipline and teach us. Sometimes the same verse that He covered me with was used at a later date to reveal to me a flawed heart. Anytime He reveals an “unlovely attitude” as my grandmother use to write in journals, He always follows up with love, acceptance and gentleness.

I was recently shown that my heart had some misguided intentions that He needed to “rework, massage and reformat.” I have always had a heart for service, but through the past couple of years the service has been extreme, intense and self-appointed at times. The degree of service I took on with my in-laws was more than God had assigned and as a result I brought more wilderness upon myself than what God had intended. I believe He stepped back and allowed me to experience the full impact of trying to be a self-appointed hero to everyone.

Although I chose pieces of my wilderness He still led with all the way through it in spite of myself. Through the journey I was shown my shortfalls, my weaknesses and my less than selfless intention in an effort to satisfy my earthly desire for love and approval through the eyes of man.

I have come out on the other side of the wilderness and God has shown me amazing things…a few of them pinching me where it hurts. I am both grateful for and humbled by this experience and the growth it has provided.

Exposing our hearts is what Christ does best, but for the purpose of molding and growing us into His image. This transformation of heart will happen with or without our permission.

Open your heart to the experience of growth in Christ even if it hurts…you will never regret it.

No comments: