Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Putting It Into Practice

“Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.” Philippians 4:9.

I don’t know about you but one of the most frustrating things I experienced as a mother of younger children was the taunting task of teaching the same concept of right and wrong over and over again. My children would choose something that was not good for them even if they had been taught to refrain. They had learned from me and my husband a certain protocol for living, a set of boundaries that was in place for our family.

When I consider all of life’s lessons as I reflect on my journey in life, I seem to be able to identify a certain “appetite of temptation” that seems to always vie for my attention. God has been so patient in bringing me around to His standard of living as He lovingly and mercifully reminds me of the degree of holiness He commands of me. There are many “things” I have learned and received from Him, but it is the “putting it into practice” that seems to be the hiccup. There must be an intentional and disciplined focus on living life with the set of boundaries and standards for which God desires. Some of the most intense lessons from God have obviously been my times in the wilderness.

There are many things remaining that God must show me in my walk with Him but the things that are already mine, revelations learned and received, must be worked out and practiced daily for me to obtain the peace that He promises. We must depend on God to reveal these things to us as we become spiritually mature enough to receive them. With these revelations of truth we have a responsibility to put them into place and to show others the standard of living for which God requires. God will deliver us from the wilderness, but the wilderness provides the backdrop for God to replace the world’s influence on us with His truths.

In order for God to work His practices into our lives He must work the earthly practices out of our lives.

No comments: