Monday, July 27, 2009

Relationship By Proxy

“When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled in fear. They stayed at a distance and said to Moses, ‘Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.’” Exodus 20:18-19.

This morning when I read this verse I lovingly thought of my baby girl, Caroline when she was 11 years old. The event was our family vacation to Disney World and her mood was extreme fear. Everytime we would approach a ride she would begin staring at the beast before her and biting her nails. I can still see her sun bleached blonde hair and large green eyes panicking as she wanted the benefits of the ride but the fear held her back. We would take turns staying back with her throughout the entire days at Disney and watched her struggle with desire vs. fear.

I know some people like this as it relates to their fear of approaching God and getting deeper in fellowship with Him. It is supported throughout the Bible that we will suffer for Christ and to fellowship with Him is to suffer with Him. This has been true in my own life as the closer I have gotten with Christ my adversities have seem to be on the rise. I have to testify though that the benefits of the ride far outweigh my standing on the sideline. I have my own experiences with Christ instead of having to live through the experiences and fellowship with Christ of someone else.

No one can know God for us – we must show up and invest the time to know who He is for our individual lives. People may walk along side of us teaching about Him, encouraging us through His truths and praying for us, but no one can climb those high stairs, embark on that ride and experience the climb and the drops like we can when we get off of the sidelines and accept our destiny.

Cast your fears aside, begin the adventure and hold on tight!

As a side note, Caroline has always regretting not riding any of those rides!

No comments: