Saturday, July 11, 2009

Rejoice in Suffering???

“Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.” 1 Peter 4:12-13.

A few years ago God assigned me the privilege of finishing my grandmother's book and getting it published. One of her chapters dealt with my grandfather’s death and the grief she experienced, however the writings were much different than what I was expecting. Within four weeks she had completely reconciled his death, experienced God’s sufficient grace daily and accepted where her life journey was to go from that point. She continued to write about the Holy Spirit’s comfort and the lack of devastation she felt as she traveled through this difficult experience. She described God’s grace as such an amazing power that it left me feeling almost spiritually “jealous” (I know this is a strange word to use in this context).

I have always thought the concept of rejoicing in suffering was a little much to ask of us but while reading this verse this morning I better understand its meaning when applying it to Grandmother’s writings. When my sister died I was able to see first hand that of which Grandmother wrote and experienced. I was able to see God’s intervention in my pain and hear His comforting words as my heart was breaking. More importantly, I was able to witness His overwhelming and perfect grace minute by minute and experienced His glory in a way I would never have experienced it without my intense suffering. I can go into my next season of pain armed with the arsenal of comfort, peace, joy and deliverance based on my knowledge of what has been revealed in suffering and what will be revealed in the future.

"We must learn to expect them (trials), submit to them and learn from them. However, we can rest assured that behind every challenge we can find God. The greatest challenge of all might just be getting used to the fact that sometimes His assignments are different than the plans we had for ourselves." Priscilla Shirer, He Speaks To Me, p. 108.

So…I rejoice that I participate in the sufferings of Christ!

No comments: