Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Returned Call

“Call to me and I will answer you and show you great and unsearchable things that you do not know.” Jeremiah 33:3

I have always loved this verse because it strikes a child-like chord in my soul. We all remember a time when we anticipated the excitement of an unrevealed surprise! I vaguely remember the details of when I was five years old and was hospitalized for a week with exploratory surgery. What has remained in my spirit all of the years was the day I called Holdie (my maternal grandmother) from the hospital who told me she was coming to visit with a surprise. I couldn’t wait until she arrived with the treat and decided to wait between the elevators under the water fountain. The nurses knew I was there and I actually fell asleep for a brief time waiting on her. I never feared that she would not follow through with her promise for anytime in the past when I had called out to her she answered.

We have this same confidence in calling out to God. It is just as much His desire to show us “things” for our lives as it is for us to discover them. We can know with all of our hearts that calling to God will result in the revelations He has for us. God’s character is one that desires our excitement for Him, anticipates our words from Him and counts on receiving our love from Him.

As children, we didn’t know the “great and unsearchable” things our parents had for us but knew their character to be loving, one of protection and desirable of good things for us.

The unsearchable and great things of God are things we do not even know for which to ask but because of His great love for us He desires to give them to us. He will not force Himself on any of us but will wait until we call out to Him. Through turning our hearts and minds towards Him we access the “full measure” of God receiving all of the plans He has for us which will always be for our better good.

I can’t even remember the surprise Holdie brought me but I will never forget the experience of anticipating and waiting on someone who wanted to be with me, love me and lavish gifts on me – the same is with our God.

No comments: