Thursday, August 6, 2009

Meeting At The Well

“It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves and know that this One is indeed the Savior of the world.” John 4:42)

You could say that my sisters and I were born with a silver spoon in our mouths spiritually speaking. Our paternal grandparents were both ordained ministers and consistently and joyfully exemplified the life of Christ, only to be followed by our parents living in the same way. Their God became my God, and their faith became my faith. The flipside of this was the absence of any kind of “earth shattering event” knocking me off my feet and turning me around realizing the awesome power of the Lord. My spirituality was luke warm and I knew God through the eyes of my family and the experiences in church.

I have encountered many people like myself whose life has always passed through church, Christianity and the “do’s and don’ts” of its principles. Much like the woman at the well I performed my daily tasks knowing and believing in Christ but finally met Him at my own well to experience Him in my own personal way.

The manner in which I encountered God was so much more than I had ever anticipated. He met me on my knees and promised me things that only He could know I desired. He promised me things of mystery that I am only now discovering for my life. He filled my “water pot” with His living waters for me to carry back and offer to everyone.

Experiencing God is meant for the individual and not for a collective group of people. Through the intimate fellowship of each of us, we become His group of people who collectively love Him, serve Him and worship Him. We may be directed to Him by a certain person or group of people but we can never know Him personally through someone else.

We must show up for our “meeting at the well” so that we can hear and know for ourselves our Savior. Our encounter with Christ may be the only direction for someone else to find the way to their well.

Our walk may lead someone to the Well but He will give them the drink.

No comments: