Sunday, August 16, 2009

Love Letters

“…I will put my laws in their minds so they will understand them, and I will write them on their hearts so they will obey them.” Hebrews 8:10

There have been things in my life that I just knew intuitively were my lessons to learn from God. One of the greatest lessons for which I constantly face is the ability to set boundaries. I have always enjoyed serving others but throughout the past three years it has been so extreme that I know God was doing some deep cleaning. I believe God knew that in order to have a future ministry I would have to know how to set boundaries in my service. I have known this in my mind for many years but it was only written on my heart through the extreme service of the past three years on many counts.

We can certainly “know” the things God requires of us but still operate in our lives without making changes. I knew that I lacked the discipline of setting healthy boundaries in service but really couldn’t relate to the enormity of responsibility in trying to be a hero for everyone. I believe God knew that the only way I would understand this on a heart level was to insert me into the situation that showed my inability to keep up with the level of service for which I had bitten off!

God was gracious and merciful in writing these truths upon my heart. He exposed distorted motivations for my service such as seeking the approval and love of others through my service. He wanted more for me spiritually and less from me physically.

God has a love letter written to each of us that reveals what He wants for us and what will make our lives in Him more balanced and spiritual. We can know Him in our minds but we must pursue Him in our hearts to learn the truth He has for our lives. This past letter to me from God was a tough one to read but I know the spirit of the Author and His desire to always work everything together for my good.

Open up your letter and read what God is writing to you.

No comments: