Monday, August 10, 2009

As the Bell Rings...

“The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning. Wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.” Isaiah 50:4.

I remember in 7th grade, morning upon morning, my friends and I would enter into the classroom of Social Studies where our teacher frequently asked, “Are you prepared for class?” It didn’t matter what was on our minds or the problems of the day that we brought into class, we always answered “yes”. Some days I understood what she was teaching while other days my mind and heart just wasn’t there. I wanted to be somewhere else but was required to show up for class because it was the right and expected thing to go.

I am ashamed to admit that over the years my prayer time was entered into with the same obligatory requirement in being a Christian. Why is it that as we approach time with the Father we enter the classroom with a half-hearted attempt at learning all that He has to reveal to us? Why wouldn’t we run down the hallways of revelation to receive His knowledge and how He has determined to administered His will, His favor and His purpose for our lives?

Each and every morning we are to show up with an attentive heart for learning, a powerful desire for worship and an unparalleled level of attention to the great Teacher who will “show us great and unsearchable things if we call to Him.” (Jeremiah 33:3)

What could possibly be out in the hallway of life that is worth our distraction and attention?

No comments: