Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Chariots & Horses

“Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed; he answers him from his holy heaven with the saving power of his right hand. Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God. They are brought to their knees and fall, but we rise up and stand firm.” Psalm 20:6-8.

In the days of King David, the chances for success in battle were aligned with the number of chariots and horses the warriors possessed. It was believed that the greater the number the better the chance for victory. Confidence in battle was placed in the resources instead of the leaders.

When I was raising my children my “chariots and horses” were the false security I had in what I had accomplished as a mom. I had them in church from birth, stayed home with them in an effort to ground them in right from wrong and remained very active in their school life. I felt that I had accumulated the resources for any battleground on which I was placed. Boy, did my chariots and horses fail!

When we place our confidence in things other than God we enter into a false belief system which will crumble upon pressure. Whether our “chariots and horses” are a result of accumulated finances, obtained wisdom or power these resources “will be brought to their knees and will fall”. They will not stand up to the blasts of the storm that many of our journeys bring.

Christ sits at the right hand of God as our intermediate access to the Father, and because of the sacrifice Christ made we are saved in our storms only through the power of Christ. Only through trusting in the His power may we access the saving grace and answers from heaven.

Call out to Him in the holy heaven for our victory instead of “mounting chariots and horses”.

No comments: