Saturday, April 17, 2010

Meager Morsels

“Go at once to Zarephath of Sidon and stay there. I have commanded a widow in that place to supply you with food…’I don’t have any bread – only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son that we may eat it – and die’…She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food everyday for Elijah and for the woman and her family. For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry in keeping with the word of the Lord spoken by Elijah.” 1 Kings 17:9, 12, 15

This is a beautiful story that validates the life-giving ways of our Savior who provides the needs for His children through obedience and partnership. Elijah, a prophet of God was told to go to this widow and request her to feed him. Her response was something I am sure he wasn’t prepared to hear. This poor widow had conceded to death for both herself and her son. She went out to gather provisions to make their last meal and had accepted their fate of death. When Elijah heard this it would have been tempting to question if he really heard God say to take this widow’s food. Both people had heard from God on this matter and both were obedient in His instruction. Through their obedience, death passed over the widow and her son while God’s servant was given the continual provisions required in his work ‘everyday’ as the passage reports.

I love applying Scripture to my life and this story’s application is obvious for me. As my father began declining in his last month of cancer my father-in-law was put in a nursing home to spend the remainder of his life. God led my husband and me to bring him to live with us. Being depleted of physical and emotional strength from my dad’s situation it was tough to imagine having enough strength to give to my father-in-law. My earthly body was saying, ’I don’t have any bread – only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug.’ I was tired and exhausted but God sent His assurance that if I took him in ‘the jar of flour would not be used up and the jug of oil would not run dry.' I would have every provision required to care for my father-in-law during this season of his life. That is exactly what has occurred as God gives me fresh baked bread every morning to face the day. His daily provision is both consistent and plentiful.

God expects us to give out of sacrifice whether that offering is financial, physical or emotional. Just like the widow we are to give not from excess but from the sacred.

When we give of ourselves like the widow God will turn what we see as death to life.

No comments: