Monday, April 5, 2010

Without Limit...

“But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.” John 16:13-14

Three months ago my youngest daughter Caroline made the decision to transfer back to Charlotte and attend UNC-C. I was very excited at the thought of having her close to me again since we are extremely close. She was accepted into UNCC and we began setting up her life close to the college. About one month ago I noticed that she was not herself and seemed to be distracted and anxious. She confided that she had been battling depression for the past month and seemed to find it difficult to feel any joy in her life.

This past week I received an email from her explaining that she felt she was getting ready to make a huge mistake in her life and wanted to consider staying at Appalachian State. After talking through the circumstances it was clear that in her heart she wanted to stay at App. Since that decision she has felt consistent confirmation and peace. I believe she has been struggling with the will of God, and finally the guidance of the Holy Spirit prevailed.

We are meant to pursue God’s will over our own will which guarantees peace. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27. Many times we experience unnecessary depression, anxiety and discord in our lives when attempting to make a decision without surrendering to God’s will and the Holy Spirit. We have full access to the mind and heart of God through His Spirit. “For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit.” John 3:34.

When anxiety and chaos rule your heart open your ‘spiritual ears’ and listen to the leadings of the Holy Spirit. You will find unwavering peace in a decision if it is the will of God and He promises us He will reveal His will through His spirit.

No comments: