Thursday, April 22, 2010

Reminders

“But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:26-27

When we accepted Christ as Savior we were given the gift of His Spirit, the Counselor, at that very moment.

Many years ago I went to a counselor trying to cope with the daily suffering of my daughter’s addiction and how it impacted my life. Through months of counseling I developed a process of listening and questioning the counselor to better understand what skills I could develop to navigate through my problems. Through this relationship I was given valuable truths and provisions to apply to all circumstances.

Our Counselor within is so much more than the world’s counselor. The Holy Spirit has been given the information of how we operate before we even show up for our appointment. Instead of time being spent trying to get to know us we spend time trying to get to know God through the Holy Spirit. Much like my earthly counselor years ago the Holy Spirit reminds us of things we have been taught through past experiences that can apply to present experiences.

Our peace will never come from the world as it shifts and changes. Our peace can only come from the appointments with our Counselor who knows our past, present and future.

Don’t be late for your appointment – your peace depends upon it.

No comments: