Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Standing Our Ground

“About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.” Acts 16:25

Paul and Silas had been stripped, beaten and imprisoned during one of their missionary travels. At the height of their darkness they lifted prayers and hymns of praise in their suffering. They realized that one of the most precious worship experiences is the lifting up of a sacrifice of praise in intense suffering. It is a fragrant offering so precious to God that moves His heart.

When my sister was diagnosed with Bile Duct Cancer I remember being in car going to her house on her birthday. I had to face the fact that this could be her final earthly birthday that we would share together. My heart was broken as I traveled in the car to her home and knew I needed to pull myself together. One look on my face would tell the entire story on her special day. Through my sobs I began to pray and praise God for everything He had provided. I began singing to the Christian songs on the radio not because I felt the peace the words were offering but because I believed the words were true. As I praised Him aloud and sang through tears I eventually felt the ‘peace of God which transcends understanding’ (Phil 4:7)

In my cell of sadness and despair God anchored my peace on His holy ground, not the earthly ground of circumstances. “Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering.” Hebrews 10:32

The contest was great but through the power of Christ I was able to stand my ground in the great contest of despair and sadness. In our greatest hour of need, there will be people listening to our testimonies and our responses just as the prisoners witnessed Paul and Silas.

Praise to God is paramount in our relationship with Him apart from our circumstances. It is easy to praise God and sing to Him in the calm but when the praise is lifted through a broken heart it becomes a sacrifice offering being offered on holy ground.

So stand your ground fellow believer whether you are on shaky ground or stable ground for they both provide a solid foundation.

No comments: