Friday, June 25, 2010

Give and Receive

“As you go, preach this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven is near… Freely you have received, freely give. Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep.’” Matthew 10:7-10

This was an item on the list for which Christ called the disciples. He gave them power, authority but definite instructions. This passage provides two important principles in sharing the gospel about God…give and receive freely.

It is always much easier for me to give than to receive or ask for assistance in anything. I have been shown over the years by God that my hesitancy in receiving help is aligned with my insecurity of being loved. My incessant need to give to others through resources, encouragement or service is laced with my desire to be accepted. This has been a huge stumbling block in my faith, one which Christ continuously works with me.

I am also very aware of those who refuse to give, whether it is their time, their service, their money or their hearts. They are navigated and guided by self-love, self-gratification and self-service. It is impossible for them to give for they believe to give is to lose something of their own.

These particular instructions command us to give away what is not ours in the first place. God has given us everything we possess so we have no rights in the gift, only blessings to share with others. We are called to live a life of pouring out of ourselves as offerings to God through service. We are also commanded to receive from the Body of Christ and believe that through His Body our provisions will be met. He never intended on us to be dependant upon our own strength, our own power and our own resources.

During the past two years I have required much comfort in my grief and have been given much through friends, family and God’s provisions through prayer. At present, I am requiring much perseverance, endurance and strength in navigating through the choppy waters of Alzheimer’s. As I give myself over to God in all circumstances I receive everything required in this season. To give freely is to receive freely. Can we truly trust this Christ-like attitude? Jesus came with nothing but the will of His Father and He hung on the cross with nothing but the love and deliverance of His Father.

Are you willing to give with all of your heart as a sacrifice offering to God, and are you willing to receive as a trust offering for His provisions?

No comments: