Sunday, June 20, 2010

Master, Say On...

“When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself…Jesus answered him, ‘Simon, I have something to tell you.’ ‘Tell me, teacher,’ he said.” Luke 7:39-40

This exchange haunts me from time to time as I find myself thinking ‘unlovely thoughts’ as my grandmother used to say. This verse states that the Pharisee had certain thoughts regarding his opinion. Christ immediately responded with a desire to disclose something to Simon. I love the KJV of these sentences. It states, ‘Simon, I have somewhat to say to thee.’ Simon’s response was ‘Master, say on.’ Simon had no idea that Jesus had known his thoughts and was about to rebuke him through a parable of satisfying the debts of two debtors. (Luke 7:41-48)

Many times our thoughts are equally condemning, judgmental and unforgiving and I shudder to think that Christ hears them. Christ reads our hearts and mind continuously as it reveals motivation, trust and belief. I believe His concern for the motivation of our heart is much greater the work of our hands. Remember the Pharisee as He invited Christ in for external appearance but missed the lesson of internal acceptance. His deeds were surface and his heart was shallow.

We must renew our thinking and purify our hearts. “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of the world…” (condemnation of others, being judgmental and unforgiving) “but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” Romans 12:2

One day while babysitting for my granddaughter, Kherington I was fussing (that is what southern women do!) at their cat. She looks up at me and with her long southern drawl says, ‘Be niiice, Memmy!’ I suddenly felt convicted of my tongue and aware of my attitude as an example…and that was just an 18 month old! “For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.” Luke 6:45 Imagine how I feel when I remember that Christ knows every attitude, thought and motivation. ‘Brenda, I have somewhat to say to thee.’ After some of my thoughts I am not sure if I would invite the Master to ‘say on!’

We must ‘take every thought captive to make it obedient of Christ.’ 2 Co. 10:5

No comments: