Saturday, June 26, 2010

Riding with Jesus

“‘Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest…’ When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. ‘Send the people away so they can go … and buy themselves something to eat.’ But he answered, ‘You give them something to eat.’” Mark 6:31, 35

Being one of four girls I always wanted alone time with either of my parents. I didn’t care which parent but just knew that I didn’t want to share them at certain points. Two cars were constantly taken wherever we went due to obligations that took my parents in separate directions after church. They would speak those words, ‘Who is riding with me?’ I would hesitate in my answer until I saw the decisions of my other sisters. Some times it worked out that either Mother or Daddy would be left to ride alone at which point I would jump at the chance to be in their car. Ahhh…alone time….with my parent…without having to share.

I cannot help but to smile as I think about the disciples who finally thought they were getting alone time with Jesus. He called out, ‘Come with me for some alone time,’ at which point I can feel the hearts of our beloved disciples soar. I can only imagine the disappointment and irritation of seeing all of the people running towards Jesus only to take away their solitary attention with Him. Much like, watching one of my sisters jump out of the car of the other parent at the last minute to come and join us. The disciples were patient as the Shepherd’s compassionate heart beckoned more of Him. But patience only lasts for a while and the disciples point out that enough is enough and ‘let’s let these fine people go home’ as Daddy use to say when he was ready for our visiting guests to leave.

Jesus retorts with a challenge to His disciples… ‘You feed them!’ These disciples had been witnesses to the amazing healing miracles from Christ. They had watched the blind see, the lame walk, the dead raised and demons cast, but yet they didn’t recognize the fact that this same power could feed in the everyday needs of many. There were many to teach that day on the countryside, over 5000 reported, but the pupils were God’s chosen. The pupils were the very ones who knew Christ the closest. “They protested that they had only five loaves and two fish, forgetting that they also had the unlimited resources of the Lord Jesus to draw on.” p. 1401. As followers of God, it seems we are always poised and alert to the need for a major miracle but do we recognize the smaller day to day miracles that He performs in our lives?

Do we recognize the daily need and provision of moving along our countrysides? We will always be asked to provide much more than we have in our own strength as ambassadors of Christ. There will always be people to feed when we are tired, requiring us to call on Christ for miracle strength in the everyday duties of the Great Commission. "The five thousand represent lost humanity, starving for the bread of God. The disciples picture helpless Christians, with seemingly limited resources, but unwilling to share what they have. The Lord’s command, ‘You give them something to eat’ is simply a restatement of the great commission. The lesson is that if we give Jesus what we have, He can multiply it to feed the spiritually hungry multitude.’" Believer’s Bible Commentary, p. 1402.

Who wants to ride with Me?

No comments: