Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sowing Seeds

“A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds of the air ate it up. Some fell on rock, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown.” Luke 8:5-8

This was a parable Jesus told when explaining the results of hearing the Word. The seed represents the knowledge and faith we have in what has been presented to us through His Word. The seed along the path represents those whom have heard God’s word but didn’t receive it as their way of life. Those among the rock actually heard and received God’s word but didn’t penetrate the truths more deeply through meditation upon the Word and had no roots when times of testing came. The seeds that feel among thorns heard, received and studied but allowed their faith to co-exist with the worries, riches and pleasures of the world. The most successful and victorious seedlings took root in ‘good soil.’ These are the ones with active and progressive faith that is never satisfied with the level of knowledge they already possess in the Word. They are always planting, sowing, watering and preparing.

When we were planting grass last year it wasn’t until later that I saw the spots that we had missed or failed to water. It was too late for that season but thankfully we can always re-sow. This is much like our faith as it is a living and changing element of our Christian walk. During the time of my daughter’s active addiction my seed of faith certainly lived among the rocks and thorns. I worried myself sick and despaired beyond any comforts. I turned to secret spending and fleeting joys of the world only to find that my faith was without any root. It was only through making a decision to sow elsewhere that I was able to prepare my faith for the times of testing down the road. I planted in good soil being the foundation of the Word. Daily, I watered and pulled weeds. I submitted to God His plan for the growth apart from my own ideas on how to farm. When the season of testing came through my family’s medical illnesses I saw the yield that God’s seed provided. I am experiencing the divine growth and blossoming peace of His garden.

We will all sow but where will it land?

No comments: