Friday, June 18, 2010

Greater Than...Less Than

“That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less.” John 3:30

This was John the Baptist’s realization as he faced death at the end of his ministry. His public ministry had only lasted one year only to end in martyrdom. He realized that he had accomplished what he was born to accomplish and now the time had come to relinquish his duties. How that must have been bitter sweet for him. It couldn’t have been easy to realize that his part in the crucial work of the Kingdom was over. Jesus’ ministry was emerging and growing in strength, power and sustenance. To emerge is to ‘appear out of or from behind something’. The ministry of Christ came out of the forerunner’s ministry of prophesy and revelation. The establishment of Christ’s ministry ended the important work of John but the fruit of his ministry still lives today. “The entire object of John’s ministry is summarized in the verse above. He labored ceaselessly to point men and women to the Lord, and to make them realize His true worth.” Believer’s Bible Commentary, p. 1481.


When Beth was dying of cancer we started a website called Caringbridge where people would sign in and encourage both Beth and the family. Each morning I posted devotions and updates which quickly became a ministry for which I loved. When Beth died the website was deactivated…the ministry was over…the doors had closed. While the reason for the ministry was not joyful, the service of the ministry was. It pointed to Christ as a means and provision through suffering.

All service is a form of ministry. When my father-in-law came to live with us this became a ministry of service. It is a very private and excruciating service that only God sees but the ministry must be something I need to develop and grow. I must remember that as I serve my father-in-law I serve Christ. When focusing on Christ and less on me, my service seems joyful and peaceful. When I focus on the negative and ‘rehearse my woes’, peace eludes me.

We all are called to service in different ministries whether public or private, joyful or sorrowful. The message is the same: More of Christ and less of us.

No comments: