Thursday, October 14, 2010

Christ in Wait

“Growing up as the second child of four girls I was very happy and knew that I was extremely loved by many people in my family. We regularly attended church three times a week and I never remember a time when God was not an active member of our family… Looking back, it was ridiculous to think I could claim God’s peace when I didn’t really know intimately who God was and how to claim His peace. I knew Him as the God of my parents and the God of my grandparents. I had not learned who He could be for my life…Back in 2006, I stayed home from work one day due to the flu. I am not a big fan of television but my extreme boredom beckoned the company of anything. I stopped on INSP which is a station solely for inspirational viewing at which point I decided to watch. Because of that broadcast I decided to start doing daily and intimate Bible Studies, something I had never done before. Amazing how I grew up in the church, claimed to be a Christian, and never had even participated in an intimate Bible Study on my own. I had certainly been to many Bible Studies within the church, sipped on the coffee provided, hugged the ladies goodbye and traveled home for the evening. God’s spirit touched mine that day in February of 2006 beckoning something deeper from me.” Brenda Emmons, Dear Adversity

When I think about my life and realize that I could have been experiencing God in such a greater way I am grieved. It is like I had this hidden treasure all along but didn’t even know to enjoy it. It was the complacency of living my life with an earthly focus opposed to a spiritual focus. We get lulled into the to and fro of life becoming both spiritual hypnotized and ineffective. God is on the tongue but not in the feet. He is in the mind but not in the heart. ‘For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God…For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.’ 2 Timothy 1:6

‘Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth. Acute desire must be present or there will be no manifestation of Christ to His people. He waits to be wanted. Too bad that with many of us He waits so long, so very long, in vain.’ A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God.

What are you waiting for?

No comments: