Wednesday, October 20, 2010

In The Workshop

“My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working. I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, to your amazement he will show him even greater things than these.” John 5:17, 19-20

Earlier in my father-in-law’s life, Bud could accomplish any type of home project. It seemed as if there was nothing he couldn’t fix when he would come to our house. I am the beneficiary of his work as my husband is the same way. Growing up, Bruce desired to be with his father a lot of his time so he would go down into the workshop and watch his father as well as spend time with him. Where ever Bud had a project around the house Bruce seemed to be watching. As a result, Bruce picked up on a great deal of both knowledge and integrity by being with his father.

The same is true of our Father God. He has always been at work since the formation of the universe with His ultimate will for mankind as a collective whole. The will He sets for our lives must fit into the grand scheme of His will for mankind. His will for me as His child cannot contradict His will for the Kingdom which explains why I fail to receive everything for which I pray. The Father has the total view of the world and how each decision and request from all of this children work together towards the goal of His will. Instead of me asking God to come into my life and show me His will for my world I must ‘go down into the workshop’ and watch the Father work. 'The Holy Spirit and God's Word will instruct you and will help you know when and where God is working. Once you know where He is active, you will adjust your life to join Him in His activity.' Experiencing God - Knowing and Doing the Will of God, p. 17. Through this shared experience I will know Him more clearly and participate in His work…in His will…in His Kingdom.

…and yes, to my amazement, the God who is always busy creating, saving, comforting, and transforming will stop and show me great things for the Kingdom in which I may be a privileged contributor!

No comments: