Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Thy Will Be Done!

“Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: ‘…but a body you prepared for me;’ Then I said, ‘Here I am – I have come to do your will, O God.’” Hebrews 10:5, 7

Jesus was sold out for His Father God. He was the one earthly man since the beginning of time whom perfectly, consistently and passionately sought, pursued and was relentless to know the will of God. He was very clear as to Who was at the center of His life.

We all desire to know and do the will of God but ascertaining this knowledge can be both intimidating and challenging. We enter into fellowship with God with our own slant towards our will instead of God’s will. It is human nature to view our lives through the lens of what we would like to see happen in any given situation. In Experiencing God – Knowing and Doing the Will of God, we are given wonderful tools in discerning God’s will.

1) Seek at the beginning to get our heart into such a state that it has no will
of its own in regard to any given matter.

2) Do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression.

3) Seek the Will of the Holy Spirit combined with the Word of God.

4) Take into account providential circumstances which often indicate His will.

5) Ask God in prayer to reveal His Will to us perfectly.

6) If our mind is at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions,
proceed accordingly.

In thinking of the example for prayer that Jesus gave to His disciples in Matthew 6:9, I paraphrase as follows for my journal:

- I am to recognize God as my Father who has authority over everything.
- I am to recognize His Holiness and perfection.
- I am to lay down my own will for His will.
- I am to recognize that all things for my growth come from Him.
- I am to recognize that forgiveness for my sins can only come from Him and I am
to extend that to others.
- I am to recognize that I cannot stand against sin alone – I must remain in Him
for this.
- I recognize that everything is working towards the advancement in His Kingdom for
His glory.

Amen and Amen!

No comments: