Monday, October 11, 2010

I'm Singing in the Rain

“But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.” 1 Peter 2:20-21

This past weekend was such a wonderful gathering of precious women. I was invited to attend a Christian Women’s Retreat with 21 wonderful women and received more blessings with every corner I turned. I needed to ‘get outside of myself’ as I have been isolating myself in my own prison taking care of my father-in-law. This was a self-imposed prison wherein the key was tucked securely in my pocket seeing how I am blessed with wonderful caregivers to assist. This weekend was full of testimonies of women with past and present suffering…real suffering…not suffering as a result of their self-made prisons.

I started thinking about the benefits of our suffering, and as you are aware I love writing about adversity. Adversity sometimes trickles into our lives in a steady stream but other times the levy breaks and the floods engulf. Through the Bible many have suffered for the name of Christ. We tend to focus on the suffering instead of the abundant harvest. In the Bible, without Paul’s suffering we would have missed out on many books in the Bible. Our Savior came through the suffering heart of a mother and our testimonies will come from the suffering hearts of our families in Christ. We must get out of our heads that suffering is something undeserved and something we should avoid at all costs. Jesus knew He stood in the shadow of the cross, yet He stood on faith instead of running. Mary knew she had to watch the death of her perfect son so sinners could live.

Our faith is the seed planted, adversity is our rain and the abundant harvest will be the fruit of our testimonies. For as the song states, 'I'm singing in the rain!'

No comments: