Friday, October 29, 2010

What Can I Do To Help?

“Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!” Matthew 25:21

When my children were very young they would want to help me around the house. In an effort to satisfy their desire I would begin telling them what I wanted only for them to scurry off before I was finished explaining. Their eagerness to accomplish did not match their understanding of the task. This understanding required more time with me and experience in the task. Many times at the end of their job I would inspect their work only to discover their shortcuts and compromises. I was not encouraged to give them more to do since the task I did assign was so poorly carried out.

As Christians, we all want to help God accomplish His purposes in the Kingdom. We run up to Him in prayer and ask how we can help, only to dash off before He has finished talking. We ask and then we prematurely act in an effort to mark it off our spiritual list with a big pat on our back for our service. God will call us to accomplish certain tasks but the success in those tasks are both timing and understanding. Certain character traits may require molding, massaging and reworking before the task can be completed.

Over the past year I have felt that God has called me to a grief ministry but I am still experiencing grief over my sister and father. His timing is perfect and there are challenges within myself He must iron out before I can accomplish His purposes in His way. He will not give more tasks to accomplish before I have developed the character required to accomplish the present task. From kneeling beside your child at night to show prayer life to praying before a crowd of thousands God is working within you to accomplish great things for Him.

We will be given a little to work on so He can develop within us the ability to accomplish a lot!

No comments: