Wednesday, May 10, 2017

A Birthday Card to Heaven

Daddy, as I open my eyes this morning like I have a million times before, I find myself with overwhelming gratitude for you. This day, your earthly birthday, only comes around once a year but the gift of your life is experienced daily. You see, just as God promised, death was defeated and life won! I think about how you are winning right now as you gaze into the face of God – something for which I'm excited for you. I think about the way you are winning as you have no more tears, no more cancer and no more sadness – something I prayed for you. I think about how you are winning in ways I cannot comprehend on this side of Heaven. But I want to tell you that you are not the only one winning.

I won the day you accepted Christ as your Savior and I wasn’t even yet born. I won the day God placed me with you and Mother. I won the day you guys decided to give me sisters. I won each and every moment that we spent together for 49 years…the bicycles rides… the attempted tennis matches…the nightly devotionals…the rides to church. My past winnings go on and on but they continue every day. Because you showed me the kind of man you wanted for me I’m winning. Because you showed me how to love your children well I win every time I share time with mine. Because you exemplified what standing up for God looked like, it gives me courage when I need it. Because you lived every day with a resemblance of who God wanted you to be, I win because you gave me that picture.

So, on this precious day which would have been your 81st birthday, I celebrate your life and the fact that death did not win and we did! I love you and will see you again one day!

No comments: