Thursday, May 4, 2017

Our Cities to Seize

Now Jericho was tightly shut up…Then the LORD said to Joshua, ‘See, I have delivered Jericho into your hands.’ Advance…March…Shout! For the LORD has given you the city!” Joshua 6:1-2, 7, 16.

When my grandson was much younger I would try to point things out to him that I thought he would enjoy seeing. I remember specifically sitting on the patio and trying to get him to see a bird up in a tree. It didn’t matter how I described where the bird was perched, his eyes couldn’t focus on the bird. It was easier for me see the bird because I knew what it looked like and where I was to focus my eyes. I can only imagine Joshua as he stood from afar overlooking Jericho seeing their walls completely shut up tight. The LORD was trying to get him to see a captured city…a delivered promise…a supernatural victory before the triumph. What Joshua was being asked to see was invisible to him with his human eyes. What Joshua was being asked to believe was that God’s ways would bring him this win. ‘This battle would not be won with muscle, but won with faith.’ Believing God, Beth Moore, p. 109.

What tightly shut Jericho stands looming on your horizon? What is God asking you to believe when what you see is a city unable to seize? If God has asked us to move, we must believe Him and move. If God has asked us to sit and watch, we must believe that He will move. His ways are so mysterious and strange to us, but God has been rescuing and redeeming since the beginning of time. We must try to see things with eyes of faith, since that is most certainly the vision it will take. If God has promised us something, we must advance in that belief. If God has required action on our part, we must march into that action with complete confidence. When God asks us to shout, we must shout our testimonies to the heavens. We must believe that whatever He has promised, we have already received it in the heavenlies. Then, one fine and beautiful day He won’t have to ask us to shout…we will be shouting words of joy and gratitude.

"I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you've received it, it will be yours." Mark 11:24.

No comments: