Thursday, June 21, 2018

Always About Jesus

“…when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother…and your mother... and I am persuaded as in you also.” 2 Timothy 5

Last week when I had my grandchildren part of the planning process was ensuring I did some fun things with them building moments and memories. I wanted to be sure to share things that would settle in their hearts and minds. Looking back over my life as a child one of the most memorable things both my parents and grandparents did for me was introduce me to the Bible and to God. These memories included the colorful stories of people who I would never meet, the memorable moments of Vacation Bible School, and week-end youth group getaways at Bonclarken. Faith was built through the faith of my loved ones who went before me.

I was reminded of this yesterday while I was walking when I came upon this woman and child. In one hand she carried a securely tucked Bible as she walked along side her granddaughter no doubt. It was a tender moment for me to see as I remember walking along side my grandmother as she tenderly carried the Word in her hands and her heart. Last week I did some fun things with my grandchildren, but I pray that during the time we were doing life they could sense my love for God. I pray that when they think of me they remember how important Jesus is in my life. I pray that when I made mistakes in front of them they understood that God forgives us all. I thank God that He has given me a chance to introduce the next generation to a God who has formed all generations.

The greatest gift we can give to our children and grandchildren will always be the gift of introduction and invitation to Jesus. I remember when I went to pick up my grandson Carson from Sunday School when he was five, I asked him what the lesson was about. He turned to me and said, ‘Emmy, it was about Jesus. It’s ALWAYS going to be about Jesus!'

Carson is right. We should approach every day in every situation with Jesus as the forefront. No matter what circumstance is before us we must always make it about Jesus. Little eyes are watching…little ears are listening…little hearts are at stake.

No comments: