Thursday, June 14, 2018

Our Broken Hallelujah's

But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father…” Matthew 6:6

As many of you know I am keeping my 3 grandchildren for the week, whose ages span from 9 years of age to 17. It has been a wonderful week, one of talks, laughter and love. I will leave them tomorrow with even greater love for them than I had last week if that is possible. Each time I’m with them they have changed just a little bit in maturity, personality and preferences. I love watching them grow into the people they will become. Last night when I went to tuck in Kherington, I noticed there was a piece of paper taped to the arm of her trundle bed where her head rests at night. I was so touched when I read it, and she said it is her prayer ever night.

Kherington fully understands some basics about life at a very early age. The kids lost their dad when she was 5 years old. She was forced to believe certain things to allow her heart to love again. Her prayer is a broken hallelujah like many of ours. Her taped note shows that she is smart enough to know that a broken heart needs a reminder to live so pain and joy can co-exist. She has a thankful heart for each family member who remains in her life. She knows that God has the power to keep our loved ones held and protected until we are reunited. Most importantly she somehow knows that there will be those who will challenge her faith. Through this prayer she is committing to God that she will choose to believe ahead of time and will commit to stand firm in her belief.

In the spirit of her prayer along with Father’s Day being celebrated this weekend I wish to lift my broken hallelujah. I will thank my Father in heaven for the family He has given me, no matter the length of time they had on earth. I will acknowledge that God is taking perfect care of my loved ones in heaven, until He pulls back that thin veil and reunites us. My Kherbear prayer will commit to believing God, and everything He brings into my life, both comfortable and uncomfortable, both sad and joyful. I will pray to always take a stand for Him when others disagree with me.

I’m so glad we have the invitation and privilege to ‘go into our rooms and shut our doors and pray to our Father.’ What greater privilege is there to pray to One who holds every detail of our lives in hands.


No comments: