Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Owning Our Moments

Own the moment. The concept seems simple enough. There are literally millions upon millions of moments in our lives that we will either maximize or that we will miss. My greater concern in my own life, and yours is that if you build a pattern of missing moments that don’t appear to be significant, you will miss out on what builds a life.Owning the Moment, Carl Lentz

One of the pastors at Seacoast Church shared this quote from a book he was reading called Owning the Moment. This quote was very powerful for me and the message stretched across the days into my Bible Study this morning. The exercise was to close my eyes and consider the five sensory experiences. With closed eyes I was able to better focus on what I was hearing. It was the uninterrupted silence of a new day beginning, a day where voice and sound had not yet pierced the quiet. Keeping my eyes closed, I inhaled deeply and smelled the faint remnants of my coffee. I tasted the flavor of my coffee that remained in my mouth. And then I slowly opened my eyes to see things in a new way. And I was overcome with gratitude…deep gratitude…for the things surrounding me.

First and foremost, I saw the pictures of my life that boasted a lifetime of love. I saw a set of parents who raised and loved Bruce all the way into my arms. I saw a set of parents who loved me and my sisters beyond anything else, teaching us how to love God and each other. I saw my own family with whom God entrusted me and Bruce, children of whom I couldn’t be prouder.

As I looked around with a grateful heart and tearful eyes, I saw such powerful items that make up such an important part of who I have become. God’s powerful word…active and alive…slicing between truth and lies…my shield to hold up. My Bible Study…God’s anointing on all these authors’ so that we may grow in Him. My computer… the instrument in which I share the gift God gave me. I was overcome with owning the moment and am so thankful that on this particular day, I maximized the moment instead of missing it. There have been too many moments that I forfeited or squandered because of distractions.

I want to build a pattern of maximized moments such as a gentle breeze on my face…a bird in the beauty of its song…lunch with my children...a smile shared with my grandchildren…my hand in Bruce’s as we walk down the road...silly laughter with my mother. These are moments that build a life…insignificant moments that string together a significant life shared in love, laughter and joy.

How will you own your moment today?





No comments: