Monday, June 4, 2018

Mr Just Right

Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper who is just right for him." Genesis 2:18

When I was 24 years old I worked at Duke Power in Lancaster. My plan was to transfer to Charlotte and eventually move back to the city in which I was born. After I applied I received a phone call inviting me to interview for a few jobs. I was very excited, but also nervous. I remember the day perfectly and still laugh about meeting Bruce for the first time. He was my Human Resources contact in charge of my transfer. When I walked around the corner to meet him, little did I know my heart would never be the same. His smile was somewhat mischievous, and his eyes had hints of adventure. He held out his hand and introduced himself as Bruce. I extended my hand and introduced myself also as Bruce. Within 3 weeks I knew I wanted to walk this life out with this crazy man, and today marks 33 years that we stood before God.

God knew it wasn’t good for Bruce to be alone because he is a lover of relationship. When Bruce gives his heart to something or someone, it is permanent. His love is sacrificial providing for his family, no matter what. His love is for the long-haul no matter what comes his way. God made a helper for me who is just right, and I pray each day that I can be his 'just right wife.' He is just the right blend of danger and delight. He is just the right makeup of comedy and crisis. His ideas have been implemented with a mixture of the ridiculous and the resolution.

He was just right for me when I was a single mom for he loved both of us. He was just right for me as two more children were born with whom to share our lives. He was and is a wonderful man and father with a heart for God. He was just right for me when we walked through gut-wrenching times, and whenever I pursued crazy ideas. He was just right for me when I lost my dad and sister. Together we have certainly not been perfect, but we have been just right for each other as God placed us together. To each other, we have forgiven and been forgiven…we have extended grace and received grace…we have laughed and cried…knelt together in prayer and danced together in joy.

He is my ‘just right partner’ and I’m so thankful God knew that it wouldn’t be good for Bruce to be alone. I’m thankful that God knew there was something individually quirky and enduring that would carry us collectively through this life. Happy Anniversary to the one who is still the one!

No comments: