Tuesday, June 12, 2018

My Guaranteed Moment

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.” Matthew 6:33-34

I awoke this morning to a guaranteed moment. A moment over which yesterday has no claim or power…a moment that tomorrow cannot touch. It is a guaranteed moment and I am blessed to walk it out. It includes reflective joy that my children and husband are healthy and I am loved. I have awakened to the knowledge that my 3 grandchildren lay in the other rooms soundly sleeping. My guaranteed moment includes deep gratitude to God that my mother lays asleep upstairs while her sweet husband prepares her coffee. I am out on the deck up in the beautiful mountains of Virginia with my soft blanket draped over me. I am hearing below the breaking of sticks and the rustling of leaves as the deer stare up at me, and quietly move past me as if they have gotten away with something. The birds are singing a song to each other that only they can understand, yet I still am blessed by the music. I have my Bible, my laptop, my worship music and my study and for now that is all that's required to fully embrace my guaranteed moment.

After my time with God and being in His word, there are more things that will be added to my day. There will be hours of watching the grand kids splashing around in the pool. Today will include go cart rides, bungy jumps in the dome, and the accusations of cheating at miniature golf I'm sure. Our faces will have remnants of milkshakes around our mouths, and the additional Oreo cookies when we get back home. I am not guaranteed tomorrow, and I will fully walk out the moments of today that string together another beautiful day on earth.

Take a few moments and really breathe in the blessings of today. There will be plenty of ‘these things added to our day’…the day cannot start without us. Most days we determine when the day starts and what is on our calendar. When we begin our day with a pause and an awareness that we have been entrusted with these 24 hours, we will see with gratitude the things God will add to this moment.

Let our pause be an offering to God, who is the only One who guarantees our precious moments. What does your guaranteed moment look like right now?


No comments: