Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Duty or Delight?


Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4

A while back I did a Bible Study called Duty or Delight – Knowing Where you Stand with God by Tammie Head.  It was at a point when I felt I needed some honest spiritual assessment.  Honestly, I have found myself over the past few months reverting to duty.  I don’t like duty over delight, who does?  It’s monotonous, boring and predictable.  It is the difference between getting an oil change and getting together for lunch with one of my children.  It is the difference between sitting in traffic to do an errand and sitting in a group of friends reminiscing.  It is the difference between Martha fussing with dishes and Mary communing with Jesus.  It’s funny how God knows our shortcomings and bad habits even before we realize it.  It has become clear that I have had a ‘dutiful’ heart instead of a delightful connection. Over the past few days I have really made an intentional effort to ‘slow my hurry’ in prayer and Bible Study…to not pick up my phone before I pick up my Bible.  God has given me fruit from my imperfect intention of delighting in Him.  He has filled me with a sense of connection and helped me slow my racing thoughts and erased my spiritual ‘check the box’ duties.  I’ve decided to understand that some days it will seem like duty but if I commit to give Jesus the time, He will give me the delight. 

I think it is to our benefit to daily assess our fellowship with God.  Delight is about rediscovering wonder where we previously saw only obligation.  Delight marvels at the mystery and indulges curiosity.  It awakens more desire for God and tempts us toward deeper love for Him.  In short, delight energizes us.’ The Whole Church, Charles Stanley, p. 2.  Once we decide that delight is our pursuit then God will be faithful in aligning our hearts with His.  The desires we use to have will be replaced with the desires that parallel God’s heart.

I’m so grateful that God is faithful in turning our duty back to delight when we turn to Him for deeper fellowship. However, we must be honest in our assessment, intentional in our pursuit and fully engaged in our renewal of heart and mind.


No comments: