Wednesday, April 10, 2019

The Cross Speaks Louder

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16

When I was a little girl this verse was the first verse I ever learned. I probably didn’t even understand what it meant but it sure seemed important to people that I be able to recite it. I was a little girl wanting to please people, so I memorized it. I grew into a woman whose pursuit was pleasing people which was a full-time job. My emotions were anchored in the approval and opinions of others. The reason I chose this verse today is to counterattack the following question asked in my Bible Study this morning. ‘Have you already lived too many days blown around by the winds of opinion and careless remarks?’ Stronger, Angela Thomas-Pharr, p 128. I cannot begin to express the many years wasted on assigning my value based on the opinion of others. Thinking too little of ourselves is one of the unhealthiest attitudes that will wreck our fellowship with God. When we allow other people to define our value, we have forgotten that we belong to God and He has determined our value. To value is to love and esteem the object of our affection. We are loved and valued so much that Jesus was sent to die instead of us, and He walked it out.

I know without a doubt that my parents have loved me more than anyone else on earth and no one could ever convince me they did not value me. Nor could I ever be convinced that I do not belong to them. And yet, time and again we allow people to redefine our value instead of believing God for who He says we are. We are His…we were chosen…we were worth dying for…we hold an eternal position with Him forever. When we give the power to others to determine our worth, we become less than the person God created. When we live according to our feelings instead of God’s promise of constant love the lies become more believable. As Angela writes, ‘Wrapped up in his lies, I learned how to think too little of myself. The accuser almost had me, except for one thing: I still belonged to God. I was His, but I had forgotten my name and address. My name is Beloved, and my address is Heaven.’ P 129.

I’m so thankful that when we get spiritual amnesia forgetting whose we are and the address that is really home, we can open our Father’s word and be reminded of our value. The cross tells us the real story of love and value. The empty cross speaks louder than any other voice in history. Instead of repeating John 3:16 to please others I repeat it to remind myself of how precious I am in His sight and so are you!

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people…’ 1 Peter 2:9

No comments: