Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Not Just a Tuesday

"And when he drew near and saw the city, he wept over it, saying, 'Would that you, even you, had known on this day the things that make for peace!'" Luke 19:41

This morning as I was drinking my coffee I was mesmerized by the dark sky and the multitude of stars so clearly seen. It is going to be a beautiful day at Siesta Key, so beautiful that if I’m not careful I won’t even think of Jesus today. And yet, over 2000 years ago He woke up thinking of me and thinking of you. The same sun that is rising this morning in Siesta Key is the same sun that rose that morning when men were plotting against Jesus. It was Holy Tuesday and the day when both His deity and power would be challenged and discredited by all of those in authority. They questioned Him throughout the day trying to trick Him so they could imprison Him. Jesus awoke to the reality that Holy Tuesday was the day when conspiracies to trap Him would escalate with the end goal of ridding their city of Him. What crime had Jesus committed in reality? The crime of loving God and loving man made in the image of God so much that He would be murdered for them. While they had His death on their mind, Jesus had their life on His mind. The day grew in intensity and the lack of faith that Israel revealed broke His heart. ‘How painful that Holy Tuesday must have been to cause Jesus to utter His final lament over the city of Jerusalem. Even before His crucifixion, Jesus’ heart would be pierced by Israel’s lack of faith. Their failure to recognize His deity left the people unprepared.’ Jesus’ heartbreak was not because of His future but rather the future of His enemies. Before a drop of blood ever fell from His body, His heart was ripped in two.

It’s so easy to rush pass Holy Week but Jesus deserves more than a rushed resurrection. There was nothing fast or easy about the days leading up to His death. I’m sure that every day seemed like forever and every attack seemed like a betrayal. But some days I’m no different that those people over 2000 years ago. Some days I challenge His power… ‘Can’t you do this? or won’t you do that?’ Some days like those people I don’t recognize when Jesus is trying to be my Savior. Sometimes I accuse Him of taking too much time when really all He is doing is waiting on the perfect time.

I pray that today wherever we are and whatever we are involved in we will think of Jesus since He was thinking of us in the days leading up to the cross.

No comments: