Monday, April 29, 2019

Never Alone

He changes times and seasons.” Daniel 2:22

As I have written about in the past, my grandmother kept a spiritual journal for over 62 years recording the ‘comings and goings’ of her beautiful life. I don’t keep journals in the same sense, but I do believe that my devotionals are somewhat like her journals. My writings are contemplations of my past experiences, my present circumstances, my search of God's truth and my reconciliation of the whole package. My writings are where the emotional meets the spiritual and many times they wrestle for power. Sometimes the emotional pins me down and declares victory but the win is only temporary. Our lives are strung together with the ebb and flow of experiences that mold us into who we have become. I probably need to warn you that the devotionals for the next week or so might get a little monotonous to read but they are anything but boring to me.

This morning I awake to the final leg of a season that has flowed with innumerable blessings. We leave for Folly in a few hours for 9 days to pack up our lives there. So much of my time spent at our home at Folly has been shared with you in my devotionals. Snapshots of beautiful sunrises to sunsets...analogies coupled with pictures I’ve taken along my walks. Images of shared fellowship of friends and family who shared it all. I’ve loved sharing this part of my life with you. I began thinking this morning of the ebb and flow of my life and how the seasons have certainly changed. The march down the church aisle as it ended the season of being single and flowed into the life of being married. Awaking one morning as a woman who wasn’t a mother, and by the next day flowed into my life as a stay at home mommy with my little ones. Then one day that season ended when my last child went off to college and I flowed into the life of being the mother of adult children. I awoke one morning being the daughter of a dad still on earth only to become a daughter whose dad now resides in heaven. The seasons ebb and the seasons flow and here we are as casualties of them all.

As I look back on the times and seasons that God has ordained for my life, I feel safe and secure, not because it was all happy and fun but because God was faithful through it all. He was always there to help me in the different transitions of life. His arms were always open when I would run to Him in joy… sadness…fear. He always showed a different perspective than I had considered to grow me and to mold me in who He created me to be. Every ebb and flow that has come into my life has been at the direction of the Creator who stays the same. While our seasons may change, God who holds our lives in His hands does not change. I’m grateful for the journey and I’m excited for what new things will flow into my life. No matter what each one of us faces, we won’t face it alone. God has given us every single thing required for every single season and we can take Him at His word.

If you are in a season that is overwhelming, look back over the course of time and see how God has carried you. His track record is perfect and His presence is constant.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” De 31:6.

No comments: