Tuesday, April 30, 2019

When Love Calls

The boy Samuel ministered before the LORD under Eli. In those days the word of the LORD was rare…A third time the LORD called, ‘Samuel!’ And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, ‘Here I am; you called me.’ Then Eli realized that the LORD was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.’” 1 Samuel 3:1-9.

This is the sweetest story and I always love returning to the room where young Samuel first heard and discovered God. This little boy was serving in church at the direction of Eli, a much older leader in the temple. Three times the young boy heard his voice being called and each time he approached Eli in response to the call. Finally, Eli figured out that the voice Samuel was hearing was none other than Holy God. He guided young Samuel with the appropriate response the next time the Lord called Samuel’s name. And once again Samuel heard the calling of his name from the lips of the Lord. He answered the Lord as Eli instructed and his life was never the same. God used that little boy as a powerful instrument for the rest of his life.

I grew up in the church and as a child was involved in many aspects thanks to my parents. I would help serve at meals and clean up afterwards. There would things that my youth group would accomplish in the name of the Lord. But it wasn’t until much later in my life when my church life became more than service and memorization of hymns and Scripture. I remember that a whole new world opened up for me when I would talk to my grandmother about Scripture…about God…about experiencing God. Oh, how I covet those talks from yesteryear and wish she was still here! But through the influence of my parents and the guidance of my grandmother I grew from that little girl serving in a food line to a daughter of a Father who has much work for us to do in this world. Like Samuel, I know that God called me for years before I ever responded. Like Samuel, I didn’t recognize that He was calling because the world was masking His voice. I’m so thankful for those people who taught me how to hear His voice and seek His guidance.

We all have the Lord’s calling on our lives, filled with purpose…pursuit…service to others. If we are not careful, we will not hear His voice above the fray of the flesh and the culture. We must make intentional efforts to seek Him, expect to hear Him and walk out what He reveals to us. His plan is precious, and His power is infinite to accomplish that plan. What better offer does the world have for us than the abundance of what our Father offers? We have all been placed at this time on the kingdom calendar with a purpose of leaving our imprint through our partnership with God. Are we listening?

The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, ‘Samuel! Samuel!’ Then Samuel said, ‘Speak, for your servant is listening.’” 1 Samuel 3:10

No comments: