Thursday, April 23, 2009

As The Rooster Crows...

"Suddenly, Jesus' words flashed through Peter's mind: 'Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times.' And he broke down and cried." Mark 14:72b. NLV

"Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken to him: 'Before the rooster crows twice you will disown me three times.' And he broke down and wept." Mark 14:72b. NIV

The word disown means to refuse to acknowledge or accept as one's own. The word deny means to refuse to admit or acknowledge. As Christians it is tough for us to ever imagine ourselves either denying or disowning Christ. Based on these definitions in looking back to that dark valley of Kristen's drug addiction, I denied and disowned Christ when I was going through that season. I disowned Christ when I did not trust his promises and plans as my own. I disowned Christ when I allowed her drug addition to have more power over me than Christ's power. My denial was not an intentional decision to deny the things of Christ. My heart had been arrested by the fear of my daughter's death.

And when he thought thereon, he wept. Mark 14: 72b. KJV

It wasn't until after the fact that Peter realized his denial much like us. And when I thought thereon I wept. Looking back I realize that many times I had denied Christ. I denied Him the chance to love me, the chance to comfort me and the chance to deliver and save me. But God knows our hearts and thankfully our denials of Him are independent of His love and care for us.

How many times a day do you hear the rooster crow?

No comments: