Monday, April 6, 2009

Saturday School

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28.

I was so blessed by this morning's Bible Study. I am using a book from Max Lucado called Cast of Characters for my morning devotions. Today's study was on the beloved disciple John during the weekend of the crucifixion of Jesus. Max was writing of the tradegy John experienced on Friday of losing a beloved friend and teacher to a brutal death. He explained how John didn't know of the impending resurrection on Sunday but simply lingered on Saturday because he wasn't ready to leave Jesus. He wanted to remain close to Him. Of course, tragedy turned to triumph on Sunday and Max leaves us with life application question?

"John chose to linger. And because he lingered on Saturday, he was around on Sunday to see the miracle. When you are somewhere between yesterday's tragedy and tomorrow's triumph, what do you do? Do you leave God--or do you linger near him?" Max Lucado, Cast of Characters, p. 90.

In pondering this question, I went back to my "Saturday season" when my daughter was in the depths of drug addiction for over 8 years. My Saturday didn't occur until I crucified my fears and chaos to God and decided to wait patiently on Him. I placed my out of control emotions behind the sealed stone and allowed Christ to carry my cross at year 6. My Saturday was another 2 years of waiting on Him to resurrect something...anything. Then on Mother's Day almost five years ago the sealed stone was moved and my daughter's life was resurrected. He was bringing her home and she has been clean and sober for 5 years on May 14! My "Saturday season" was definately one of "lingering near Him" and the triumph was worth the wait.

I am presently in another Saturday season with my Dad's cancer but I know that when that sealed tomb is open there will be triumph following tradegy.

What Saturday season are you in?

1 comment:

MommaG823 said...

Wow! What a thought to ponder......