Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Meet Him at the Well

"Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30.

I am experiencing a "restful time" at the present. The past year especially has been one of the toughest times in my life. Between the return of my dad's cancer, the diagnosis, battle and death of my sister, my husband's surgery, my son-in-law's relapse and the death of my other daughter's boyfriend has made up a yoke that had worn me down.

Any one of these could have been a challenge for me but the sum of these left me reeling and burdened. During the year God kept me going and gave me daily refreshment until the battles waged had retreated.

I feel now that He has led me into a "spacious place" of rest, reflection and learning. Presently, my dad's cancer has not spread, my brother-in-law and neice seem to be doing pretty well, and both daughters have successfully weathered their storms.

This is my time of rest as God promised so I will receive the flow of water as the gift He intended it to be. I am sure in no time my calendar will once again fill up, my time will disappear before my very eyes and burdens will begin piling up - it is the way of the world. But, thankfully I carry the well within and it is my choice when I will approach the well and dip my parched bucket for the filling of my soul.

This water costs nothing for any of us and it is ours for the asking if we will just recognize when our mouths are parched.

No comments: