Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Burning Bush

"One day Moses was taking care of Jethro's flock. When Moses led the flock to the west side of the desert, he came to Sinai, the mountain of God. There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire coming out of a bush. Moses saw that the bush was on fire, but it was not burning up...When the LORD saw Moses was coming to look at the bush, God called to him fron the bush, 'Moses, Moses!'" Ex. 3:1-6.

I remember when God laid on my heart to complete my grandmother's book which she had been working off and on for almost 20 years. It wasn't until she had declined both physically and mentally that I heard Him call me to this task. I was both ill- equipped and unprepared for that which I was called. Many nights I was frustrated and confused and didn't really have the ability to get clarification from Grandmother. Although many times my clarification and encouragement came through her own writings there were many times it was clear I was way over my head. I plodded through it and thankfully God provided through me all of the touches need to bring this project to completion. In spite of me God was able to work through me.

I sometimes wondered if God had called me earlier in life to accomplish this when Grandmother would have been available to assist. I had to entertain the harsh fact that maybe I had not been surrendered enough to hear the call.

Had I walked right by my burning bush earlier in life? Was my focus towards the destination up ahead instead of on the path wherein the glow of the bush could be seen? We will never know all of the burning bushes we have hurried past but if it is God's will there will be another bush up ahead. Just because we miss God's voice in one instance doesn't mean He will not get our attention through another means.

Being surrendered is the key to recognizing when God is doing something and requires our partnership. What steps are you doing on your present path to ensure you do not miss the burning bush?

No comments: