Tuesday, November 24, 2009

But In Everything...

“Be anxious about nothing, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And, the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” Phil 4:6-7

I can see so many things through the eyes of experience that I wish I had done differently. When my children were little, like many of you, we tried getting them in the habit of bedtime prayers. I would kneel with them by their bedside and help them recite their list of prayer items to God. We learn early in life to recite prayers, not to experience them.

In hindsight, while we taught them the importance of prayer I really didn’t teach them that prayer was more than just a one-sided laundry list until their habits had already been formed. Prayer is a conversation in which God can reveal things and an on-going relationship in which He responds. I must admit that there are times in my adult life when I am like that child kneeling beside my bed in an effort to check prayer off of my list for the day. Even the definition for prayer seems one sided. The definition for prayer is to implore, to plead, to beg, to ask, to request, to call upon. God’s definition for prayer is more about fellowship, exchange, relationship and revelation.

Prayer is another channel through which God comforts, guides and loves. It is when we can experience His most sacred and divine indwelling. It is where He accepts our offerings before we even lay them on the altar. Prayer is the platform for which intimate exchange is experienced.

I remember reading in my grandmother’s journal that there is no specific prayer time for her for there is constant communion throughout the day. That has become the desire of my heart and has been realized without my awareness. Sunday, as my day began very early I had an awareness of His presence in a powerful way until around 1:30 in the afternoon. It was a very private day experienced only between Father and child. We hung out all day and I was deeply blessed (and worn out). Prayer was more of a state of mind and attitude that day – a day I aspire to repeat increasingly as I grow more in Him.

I have a long way to go in my prayer life but the joy I feel when I am in constant communion with Him is like none other. Don’t just pray but experience prayer.

No comments: